About the course
Detailing the engineering behind reel-lay installation, this is an advanced course that demystifies this complex field. Ideal for reeling companies and anyone involved in the design and installation of pipelines, this course explains the fundamentals of reel-lay.
The tutor will explain key design aspects such as the implications of cumulative plastic strain, ovalisation and weld defects using worked examples and exercises. Learners will receive guidance on codes and patents and review lessons learnt from past successes and failures, developing your skills for installation projects.
- Explain the principles and processes of pipeline fabrication and installation using reel-lay
- Identify and assess the key design aspects of the reeling process, such as the implications of cumulative plastic strain, ovalisation and weld defects, while listing the key pitfalls
- Calculate the required tensions and forces in the pipeline and on associated equipment during reeling, and also the limits for these forces to prevent failure
- Explain how strain concentrations can form during the reeling process, the potential effects of these concentrations and the safeguards against them
- Specify materials and qualification testing for pipe installed by reel-lay